eng
Close
Path of Legends
Vodafone Ukraine and Poltava сity сouncil project
Find every lucky horseshoe and discover Poltava!

Poltava - a fairytale city, full of legends. One of them - about luck, that anyone who finds...

Read more

Poltava - a fairytale city, full of legends. One of them - about luck, that anyone who finds a horseshoe on its path will receive. Horseshoe as tell Poltava citizens isn’t only a guardian, but a talisman which is sure to bring a good luck - a real success for years to come. For several hundred years, travelers who visit Poltava are searching for a horseshoe, to return home with confidence in their success. According to legend, anyone who wants to be lucky should pass Poltava, find the legendary path on which lucky horseshoes since Cossack times were left. And every traveler, if he will be realy attentive and careful, will certainly find all the horseshoes that bring good luck and the implementation of any courageous desires. In our time, the time of high technology and instant communication, it's hard to find a horseshoe on the road, lost by horse rider, but for those who believes in success is awaiting a reward. Poltava is always ready to meet the guests, so even today you will find success in Poltava. Go to the path of legends, and you will find all the horseshoes that are located on your way to success! Be confident and believe in your luck - it is waiting for you in Poltava!




«Podil tower»Reconstruction of one of the fifth bastion towers of Poltava fortress of the beginning of ХVІІІ century Year of opening: 2009Reconstruction initiators: V. Trehubov, K.TrehubovLocation: Soborna Square, Poltava city
About the landmark:

The reconstructed fragment of fortification of Poltava wooden fortress with a part of observation bastion represents defense…

Read more

The reconstructed fragment of fortification of Poltava wooden fortress with a part of observation bastion represents defense constructions typical for most towers of Cossack Hetmanate of late ХVІІ – early ХVІІІ century. The tower protected the city-fortress on the part of Poltava Podil – bottom territory of the Vorskla River valley. That is why it has such name.
An amazing view to the “city on three hills”, as sometimes Poltava can be called, opens up from the Podil tower which is located on Ivanova Gora. From this place one can see well Instytutska Gora and Monastyrska with ensemble of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross Monastery – historical and architectural landmarks of the middle of ХVІІ – ХІХ centuries.

History:

Real historical location of the Podil tower is in the place of today’s white Belvedere. In 1430 the city was first mentioned under the today’s name – Poltava which…

Read more

Real historical location of the Podil tower is in the place of today’s white Belvedere. In 1430 the city was first mentioned under the today’s name – Poltava which derives from the name of river-stream Ltava heading from Mykolaivska hill and flowing by Mazurivskyi cutbank to Podil and Vorskla. On beautiful autumn and spring days from the Podil tower one can see the old river bed the name of which is translated from Scythian-Sarmatian as “white river”.
In the first half of ХVІІ century Poltava becomes one of the most important strategic populated places in the south of Polish state and the center of interrelations with Crimean Khanate. In 1641 it is already a real city governed by Martyn Kalinovskyi – vassal of the most powerful magnate of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth Iieremii Vyshnevetskyi. The city becomes one of the population centers of Transdnieper demesne owned by Vyshnevetskyi family line. Total number of the demesne was more than fifty. In the first half of 40s of ХVІІ century Poltava expands its territories and there appear new settlements-suburbs beyond Poltava territories: Kuliky, Kryvokhatky, Podil, Kobyshchany, Pavlenky, Brailky and Pushkarivka. Particularly, Poltava at that time obtains the arms of family line Vyshnevetskyi feudal lords in the form of bow with arrow depicted on the shield in corners of which there were four golden stars. Apart from the arms the city obtains a stamp and there starts building of magistrate – that is to say, there are all signs that the city was given Magdeburg rights.
On the eve of liberation war against magnate Poland in1648–1657, Poltava becomes an important center of village-Cossack rebellions headed by Taras Triasyla (1635) and Pavlo But-Pavliuk (1637). Father of Marusya Churai – Hordii Churai – native of Poltava, legendary poet-singer, only one woman who belonged to kobza player cohort actively participated in these events. During the Khmelnytsky Uprising the Cossacks of Poltava regiment headed by Martyn Pushkar participated in siege of Lvov and Zamość (1648), battles of Berestechko (1651) and Zhvanets (1653).

Shortly before the Great Northern War of Moscovia against Sweden the Poltava fortress was renovated. The height of renovated wooden fortress is 8 meters. It has two floors with the extended top one. The size of groundsill is 3.5х3.5 meters. The fortress has the stairs which were built these days for convenience of tourists).