eng
Close
Path of Legends
Vodafone Ukraine and Poltava сity сouncil project
Find every lucky horseshoe and discover Poltava!

Poltava - a fairytale city, full of legends. One of them - about luck, that anyone who finds...

Read more

Poltava - a fairytale city, full of legends. One of them - about luck, that anyone who finds a horseshoe on its path will receive. Horseshoe as tell Poltava citizens isn’t only a guardian, but a talisman which is sure to bring a good luck - a real success for years to come. For several hundred years, travelers who visit Poltava are searching for a horseshoe, to return home with confidence in their success. According to legend, anyone who wants to be lucky should pass Poltava, find the legendary path on which lucky horseshoes since Cossack times were left. And every traveler, if he will be realy attentive and careful, will certainly find all the horseshoes that bring good luck and the implementation of any courageous desires. In our time, the time of high technology and instant communication, it's hard to find a horseshoe on the road, lost by horse rider, but for those who believes in success is awaiting a reward. Poltava is always ready to meet the guests, so even today you will find success in Poltava. Go to the path of legends, and you will find all the horseshoes that are located on your way to success! Be confident and believe in your luck - it is waiting for you in Poltava!




«Ensemble of Round Square»Year of construction: 1809–1840Authors: A.Zakharov, M.Amvrosimov, M. Bonch-BruevychLocation: Zhovtnevyi Park (city center), Poltava city
About the landmark:

The battle in June, 1709 between the armies of Karl ХІІ and Peter the Great had an effect on further history of Poltava development…

Read more

The battle in June, 1709 between the armies of Karl ХІІ and Peter the Great had an effect on further history of Poltava development and architectural landmark of the city. When almost in a century due to regular changes of administrative-territorial system of Little Russia of that time the question of determining new province came up, then instead of Lubenska province (Lubny – center of former Zadniprovskykh property of Vyshnyvetski family line, the so-called Vyshnyvechchyna) or Romenska province (Romny – second large place for sales turnover on a trade fair in Illinska Empire) became the newly formed Poltava province with the main city Poltava.
S. Vyazmitynov – governor-general was a “godfather” of new city status. At his insistence a small provincial town with population of up to eight thousands which cannot be the main city of a province by its industrial-economic and cultural characteristics in March 1802 became the province main city. The only one argument in favor of Poltava was significance of the Battle of Poltava in the process of the Russian Empire formation.
Among the urgent tasks of the province government was to define new center of the city because the former historical center Dytynets (Ivanova Gora) due to small space cannot locate all necessary administrative institutions of Poltavska province. At the invitation of governor general O. Kurakin a young and talented architect M. Amvrosimov came to the city in order to perform large-scale changes in Poltava. The only one task had this architect – to make a small Petersburg from Poltava. Having arrived to Poltava M. Amvrosimov rejects to demount the city center as it was in Petersburg and proposes to allocate administrative institutions in a circle of new square with domination of the Monument of Glory.
Taking into account great importance of the Poltava victory (June 27, 1709) in the Great Northern War (1700-1721) with time the Soviet historians began to identify and look for common features among Poltava Round Square and Petersburg palace Square. For some reason the construction chronology of both squares is neglected when we speak about Poltava as small Petersburg or Petersburg in miniature. Moreover, it seems that the excellent conceptual approach in planning of the city centers conditioned with a perfect landscape is deliberately forgotten. Due to the Vorskla River the planning in Poltava is radical-circular while in Petersburg – lineal-thoroughfare due to the Neva River branches on both sides of the city.
Poltava Round Square with diameter of 345 meters was being constructed from 1805 to 1811 at the expenses of famous patron of the arts Semen Kochubei. During this time Oleksandrivska Street (today’s Zhovtneva Street) was laid from the Bell Tower of the Assumption to the new city center. On the square where according to the legend the citizens of Poltava met the troops of Peter the Great, eight administrative institutions of the province were built upon the project of famous architect Adrian Zakharov.
By 1811 the center of Poltava city looked like a round square around the perimeter of which there were seven of eight administrative institutions of the city. The square had classical eight-radial system of streets division each of which gave towards important buildings of old Poltava, mostly towards churches. The main thoroughfare is Oleksandrivska Street passed through the square center.
Today the exceptional peculiarity of the ensemble of Poltava Round Square is that the projects of “model” buildings of province cities designed by architect A. Zakharov are collected only in Poltava thus presenting a unique and the only one in the former Soviet Union.